Friday, January 14, 2011

Jeff Buckingham RIP 1952 - 2011

Jeff Buckingham, RIP






Capt. Jeff Buckingham, 58, of Port Tampa, Florida and formerly of of Port Huron Michigan, was called up to begin the next leg of the journey on Jan 12, 2011. He was the much loved son, husband, father, Papa, Master Carpenter, chef, artist, poet, fisherman, boater, USGC certified boat captain, someone who could do anything you asked him too & he was so much more.

He joined his father, Joe Buckingham Sr & son Dave Allen Jr. on the path. The next day, our wonderful little Yorkie, Rowdy, 15, joined his daddy (Jeff) & the other pilgrims. Progress, progress.



Left behind to miss Jeff, to know that all things work together for good to them who love the Lord, & to treasure memories now made golden are:

His mother Irene & her husband Jerry;

His very blessed wife Carol (aka Karrel), who asked God for & was given a “good man”;

His kids (natural, step & in-laws), who learned that dads and step-dads can be loving and giving:

Earl and Amy Buckingham VanAlstein of Michigan,
Debbie Buckingham;
Andy Buckingham;
Daniel & Pamela Smith Allen;
Dave & Nicole Allen Johnson; and,
Rich & Vicki Allen Flynn; all of Florida.

9 Grandkids who were blessed with a Papa who loved them more than they will ever know:

Tori Buckingham & Michael Small; (Amy)
Kaitlyn & Bryson Allen; (Danny & Pamela)
Gareth, Bradley, & Hope Johnson; (Dave & Nicole); and
Sebastian & Kylie Flynn. (Vicki & Rich).

Jeff was #2 of Joe & Irene’s 6 kids, who have lost a brother who valued each of them:
Joe & Roxanna Buckingham of Louisiana;
Pat Buckingham & Renee Ryan of Iowa;
Renny & Sara Buckingham Ankrap of South Carolina;
Vito & Leila Buckingham Vitale of South Carolina & the high seas; and,
Scott & Lori Robbins of Arizona;

13 nieces & nephews;

Parents-in-law, Hannelore & Heinz Preis of Germany;

Countless friends & family in Tampa, Michigan & Germany;

& his 4 dogs, Traveler (BooBoo), KieChi (Kisses), MayZie (Fatty Patty) & Ashes (BugNut). (Names in parentheses are Jeff’s the nicknames Jeff gave the dogs).  They filled his every minute at home with unconditional love and puppy kisses.

Jeff's viewing will be Saturday Jan 15, 4-6 pm at Abbey Affordable Cremation 12541 Ulmerton Rd Largo, FL 727-517-2340

A celebration of Jeff’s life is being planned by his family and friends to be held later this spring. His ashes & Rowdy’s will be interned together and lain beside Davey’s, this too will be announced in the future. Please follow the blog or friend Jeff on Facebook to receive notifications.

Additionally, please post a note, a memory, a picture, a story about Jeff on either of the following:

Jeff & DC of Gaspars
Those of you who know Jeff, know that he enjoyed being with his friends, smoking a great cigar & having a beer at Gaspar’s Cigar Shoppe on Westshore. Please stop by, his presence has not left.

Jeff & Lance















Jeff loved Gasparilla Day, he loved gathering costume pieces for his pirate costumes. He looked forward to participating in the Barton’s family’s parties before & after the parade with his many friends. The highlight was spending the day in the ING tent on Bayshore, tossing beads & cigars to the bead beggars across the street. Gasparilla will never be the same again. Please, grab a cigar, a drink, and a hunk of beads this Gasparilla Day for Jeff.


Jeff has way too many friends to name here, if I were to start would miss some and therefore, if you are his friend. Please add your name to the list in the comments. Jeff’s many clients in the Bay area are also his friends, not many people can say that.

A special shout out to Lance Barton & his entire family, staff & boat load of friends, you have made our life special, took us into your family & I will never forget everything you did for Jeff & for me. I love you guys very much. Karrel

DC, Norm & all the others at Gaspar’s, thank you, thank you, thank you. I never had to worry where Jeff was when he wasn’t working, I knew he was there, smoking cigars with his buds. I am so happy he was able to go to New Orleans these past 2 years with you guys. When Gaspar’s opened Jeff found “his place”.

Nathan & the others at The Palm Restaurant, Jeff was so honored when his picture was added on the wall of fame. I cannot express to you what it meant to him.


Jeff & Karrel enjoying their life.
Note from Karrel: Thank you also to my family & friends - it is so great to know so many people love you, thank you each and everyone for your condolences, your hugs, your offers to help, the food, the phone calls, the notes & just your support. As soon as things settle down I will be in touch with each of you. And a big thank you to my bosses, Brian & John. You guys are awesome, thank you for your support. I am very blessed to work for you & to be your friend. 

In lieu of flowers, Jeff was blessed in life and we his family would love for you to bless someone on Jeff’s behalf, be it man or animal. But most important: please, never take another minute for granted. If you are not feeling well, seek medical help immediately.

Long Ashes Captain Jeff, you will always be remembered and you were loved by so so many.

6 comments:

  1. Jeff will be missed by the Cummings Family. John and Christa got a kick out of Jeff putting his cigar in the grill of his truck when he was here at our home making it beautiful for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair winds and following seas, Captain Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the road rise to meet you
    Maythe wind be always at your back
    The sun shine warm upon your face
    The rains fall soft upon your fields
    And until we meet again
    May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

    Ai Yi Captain Jeff

    Michael Baccich,your friend I'll miss you a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first time i ever talked to Jeff i was living in CA and he asked if he could marry my mom. i said yes and of course cried. Nicole got on the phone and told me he was a really good guy and good to my mom. at there wedding he read her a poem he wrote her, that made me cry happy tears. he wasn't a man of many words but when he talked it was usually really witty and funny! when i came down to visit from GA once, i took a nap and he had bought me a pack of cigarettes and stuck a $100 bill in it for me. When Davey died, Jeff didn't know what to say but he knew i liked wind chimes so he built me a huge wind chime that i hung from my tree. He LOVED his grand kids, hands down he was an awesome papa! He was an awesome step dad who never overstepped but fit in like he was always apart of us. He will always be a part of us and he'll always be my kids papa. I know he and my mom both had crappy past but they made sure to give each other a good life together, I am genuinely sad for losing a good man in our lives. R.I.P. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my first real memories of Jeff was on weekends when we were kids. My mom and dad were always gone on weekend nights(he played in a band and she was a waitress). That was back in the days when kids had to have an imagination to have any fun, no video games, and only 3 channels on the TV. We invented a game we called run-through. One of us had to be on the couch and the rest would run through the living room from the hallway to the kitchen. The object of the game was for the one on the couch to catch the others as they ran through. Now that was entertainment.
    Then as older brothers do, he left the nest and began his life. Our live came back together in 1985 when I moved back to Michigan, that s when I really learned who he was. I used to hang out for hours at his glass shop, he taught me how to etch glass and create stained glass picutes. It was great to really get to know him and since I was old enough to drink by then, we hung out at the Active Bar. He used to tease me and tell me I sit by myself so he could pick up women. He was my fishing buddy, if I was coming to Florida I knew I was going to make him take me fishing.
    I do not think I have ever met a kinder soul, he was very forgiving and had a big heart.
    I love you brother, and I wish we had lived closer so I could have spent more time with you, I will miss and think about you often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The presence of Uncle Jeff will forever be in our hearts, homes, laughs, Gasparilla and New Years parties, and most importantly the memory of my 4 month old son whom you chose to spend some time with and hopefully teach the handiest "do and fix anything" skills only you possessed. Your selfless existence and unwavering spirit of giving is an shining example of the way we should all go about our lives. The big Captain in the sky is gaining one of the finest first mates the pearly gates have welcomed aboard. We will light a fine Black Bart in your honor and do our best to keep it between the buoys without your stewardship. Be well my dear friend and stand proud in knowing your time was purposeful and touched the many lives you left behind..........PS - I just saw a photo of you and your Dad on stage singing and having a good time - it's time to kick up the music again and light a cigar worthy of the company of your father!

    Your brother - Lance. Ashley and Barron and the rest of the Barton's will miss you forever.

    ReplyDelete